Self care comes in so many different forms. I used to think self care and automatically go to: face mask, bubble bath, red wine. That might be 100% what someone else needs – but it never truly satisfied me. I found that the best self care I could give myself was routine. Creating a practical but effective morning routine changed my life.
It is common sense that waking up earlier or preparing what I could the night before would help my sanity – but did I do it? No. I was so freaking busy running from here to there every night with more things to do…I couldn’t find the time. I was like a spinning top with no pause in sight. I had it down to the science of how I could wake up at the very last minute to just do the very least and rush the boys out the door. I was finding myself so grumpy, looking like a troll, yelling at the boys to rush. It was not okay!
I finally shook myself from this yucky sleeping schedule and added in some incredible habits to take my morning from 0 to hero! I wanted to make sure I was not only starting my day off right, but starting the boy’s morning off right as well. I hated who I was rushing around like a crazy person bossing them around. We are all so much happier now that they are feeding off of my new found positive morning energy!
1. Prepare The Night Before – The biggest help has been preparing the night before. This is when I will lay out clothes for the next day and pack snacks/lunches. I think this is where going to bed on time is also a way to prepare. We recently decided to push the boys bedtime back an hour and that made a huge difference in how they wake up in the morning.
2. Start Your Day Earlier – When I have more time in the morning I feel so much better. We aren’t rushing around and I have time to get some extra things done. Sometimes I can even relax with my coffee before I wake the boys up – peace and quiet! TIP: I love making my alarm tone a song that really gets me hype! It get’s me right out of bed! I also put my phone across the room so I have to get up and walk over to turn it off.
3. Drink A Glass Of Water – It’s important to hydrate after hours of sleeping. My first thought in the morning is coffee, so this was a hard habit to train myself to do…but it’s so important!
4. Breakfast – Our favorite weekday breakfast is oatmeal. I loooove when I have enough time to make us a good, healthy breakfast during the week. It’s so good for our brains and bellies vs the rushing poptart running out the door.
5. Tidy Up– I usually try to do this before bed time – but if I don’t – I like to make sure the house is tidy before we leave in the morning. It makes a world of difference when you come home from work to a clean, cozy home!
6. Take A Look At Your Day – I need to scan my planner and get an idea of what’s going on for the day. I am always running from here to there – it is so easy to have something slip through the cracks! This is important to look at the boy’s schedule at school too. It’s easy to miss a crazy hair day and be the worst mom ever.
7. Do One Thing That Brings You Joy – If it’s a new coffee creamer you love, using your jade roller, a quick workout you can squeeze in, a creative hour to blog. If you go to bed with that intention in mind, you will be so excited to get out of bed in the morning.
8. Take Baby Steps – Test out waking up earlier a little at a time and you will eventually get there. Maybe try 30 minutes earlier than usual, then an hour? Add in a few habits at a time so you set yourself up to gradually master one or two before you add more.
9. Self Care – Wash your face. I rang in the new year with a new skin care regime from Rodan & Fields. I am so happy with the way my face is glowing! Throw on some: make up, perfume, moisturizer, chap stick…whatever puts you together. Oh, and most importantly…brush your teeth! Right before Christmas I switched to a Smile Brilliant cariPRO Electric Toothbrush. It is a game changer! It honestly feels like I visit the dentist after every brush. It has 40,000 vibrations per minute with 5 brush modes: clean, white, massage, gum care, and sensitive. It also has a 30 day battery life – I haven’t even had to charge mine since I got it! My favorite part? After just two weeks I had noticeably whiter teeth! Maintaining a healthy mouth is the easiest part of my routine! Smile Brilliant has been amazing to offer you all 20% off of your purchase by using the code ddottstb20 ALSO one lucky follower will win a cariPRO Electric Toothbrush of their own!
Enter the giveaway here!
That is it for my 9 Ways To Improve Your Life – Starting With Your Morning Routine. I hope you find motivation to make little changes to bring joy, organization, peace, and self love to your morning!
What do you already do to set your morning off on the right foot?